Re: Getting NEW packages into Debian first

On Tue, 28 Jun 2011 11:55:29 +0100
Iain Lane <laney@debian.org> wrote:

> Hi there,
>
> On Tue, Jun 28, 2011 at 10:12:35AM +0100, Daniel Holbach wrote:
> > Hello everybody,

> > While I think it makes perfect sense to get packages (that are not
> > Ubuntu-specific) into Debian, I just want to make sure that we don't
> > overwhelm Debian sponsors if we point that out as one of our
> > preferred options.
> >
> > What is your take on it?
>

>   - Once uploaded, packages have a tendency to be forgotten and
> bitrot.

> The second is to some extent mitigated in Debian, as maintainers are
> expected to take care of their packages, and Debian as a whole has
> better QA than Ubuntu (FTBFS and transitions are handled more
> carefully), but it would be unfair to have Ubuntu developers dump
> packages on a team and expect the existing members to care in the
> future. There should be an expectation that the Ubuntu developer
> uploading a package subscribes to its bugs and takes care of any
> issues (if team maintained, this is an explicit action as only the
> maintainer — the team — gets most emails).

Its unfair whether that team is something like d-games or wether its
QA. I'm not sure that uploading to debian does resolve the second
issue, as people can be just as bad at 'fire and forget'. If that
starts happening it could even reduce interest in sponsoring further,
and that would be unfortunate :(

>   http://www.debian.org/doc/manuals/developers-reference/resources.html#pkg-tracking-system

thanks,
kk