Re: Getting NEW packages into Debian first

On Tue, Jun 28, 2011 at 10:12 AM, Daniel Holbach wrote:

> While I think it makes perfect sense to get packages (that are not
> Ubuntu-specific) into Debian, I just want to make sure that we don't
> overwhelm Debian sponsors if we point that out as one of our preferred
> options.
>
> What is your take on it?

Sponsorship resources in Debian are stretched, but I don't think
derivatives should be special wrt sponsoring, so people who want to
maintain packages in Debian should seek sponsors, whether or not they
are also involved with derivatives or if the packages they want in
Debian are already packaged in derivatives.

> I'm sure our documentation will have to be updated, but if you could
> have a look at the snippet about Debian and give me your feedback, I'd
> appreciate it.
>
> https://wiki.ubuntu.com/UbuntuDevelopment/NewPackages#NEW_packages_through_Debian

Some thoughts;

Emphasise joining teams (and helping out with existing packages)
rather than treating teams like a way to get a package into Debian.
Teams are (or should be) more about co-maintenance, and less about
sponsorship. IMO not doing that leads to dysfunctional teams.

For the non-team section, emphasise that it is strongly encouraged for
people to review their peer's packages.

I would rewrite this sentence like this:

"Debian has a strong culture around individual package maintainers
that is not present in Ubuntu."
"Outside of teams, Debian has a culture of individual maintainers
being responsible for continued maintenance of specific packages
rather than uploading packages once or twice."

Link to the mentors FAQ for hints on how to find, attract and keep sponsors:

http://wiki.debian.org/DebianMentorsFaq

http://wiki.debian.org/PaulWise