Getting NEW packages into Debian first

Hello everybody,

at the last Ubuntu Developer Summit we talked about various bottlenecks
we have in Ubuntu development. During the session a side-discussion
started about getting new packages into Ubuntu and motivation of
developers to review and sponsor them. A few people pointed out that
they quite often suggested to new contributors to get packages into
Debian first.

While I think it makes perfect sense to get packages (that are not
Ubuntu-specific) into Debian, I just want to make sure that we don't
overwhelm Debian sponsors if we point that out as one of our preferred
options.

What is your take on it?

I'm sure our documentation will have to be updated, but if you could
have a look at the snippet about Debian and give me your feedback, I'd
appreciate it.

https://wiki.ubuntu.com/UbuntuDevelopment/NewPackages#NEW_packages_through_Debian

Have a great day,
 Daniel