Re: Planet Debian downstream?

On 12509 March 1977, Paul Wise wrote:

>> Not a problem to add it if we have more than 10 feeds. Though ...
> The scripts currently detects 20 RSS feeds from 22 URLs on the wiki.

Sounds good.

>> ... I have a big problem with autogenerating it from a public writeable
>> wiki. Thats a nice idea to train spambots to provide our planet with
>> lots of spam rss feeds. Thanks, but no, there should be a human doing
>> it, not a script. IMO.

>> Its fine for the first set of config, but when we add it, it should end
>> up as the other planet - alioth access required. And yes, I know that
>> means someone who has this needs to help people from
>> derivatives/downstream who doesn't.

> Probably I did not make myself fully clear. At no time is the output
> of the script automatically used by planet.d.o. It will always go
> through a human to merge the configuration written by the script to
> the planet config.

Ok, fine then.

> The human will have to manually merge the existing configuration with
> the new one output by the script. For the initial config we will
> review all the URLs and their corresponding RSS feeds to make sure
> that they relate to the derivative that they are for. I guess we can
> repeat this review every few months to ensure spammers haven't taken
> over domains etc. I'll also personally be subscribing to the RSS feed
> generated by Planet Debian and I hope to get enough interest in it to
> get more people subscribing. Does the above addresses your concerns?

> Another thing is that it uses the derivative logos (seen at [1]) as
> the heads. I'm thinking they should be put into a subdirectory so that
> they don't get mixed up with the regular Debian heads. This isn't
> implemented yet, but probably I'll use imagemagick or similar to scale
> them down to a suitable size since some of them are quite large.
> 1. http://wiki.debian.org/Derivatives/Census

Yeah, make a deriv/ subdir or so for them, i can then put that into the
right place. And put the config into svn besides the english and spanish
config. Name it config.ini.deriv and ensure you have the name = field
right, and the link field ends in /deriv/. out_dir is www/deriv. When
you then come back to me i put it in action, and the Planetarium gets
the link automagically, with the name you put into the name field.

bye, Joerg
Lisa, if you don't like your job you don't strike. You just go in every
day and do it really half-assed. That's the American way.