Re: Planet Debian downstream?

On 12509 March 1977, Paul Wise wrote:

>> Not a problem to add it if we have more than 10 feeds. Though ...
> The scripts currently detects 20 RSS feeds from 22 URLs on the wiki.

Sounds good.

>> ... I have a big problem with autogenerating it from a public writeable
>> wiki. Thats a nice idea to train spambots to provide our planet with
>> lots of spam rss feeds. Thanks, but no, there should be a human doing
>> it, not a script. IMO.

>> Its fine for the first set of config, but when we add it, it should end
>> up as the other planet - alioth access required. And yes, I know that
>> means someone who has this needs to help people from
>> derivatives/downstream who doesn't.

> Probably I did not make myself fully clear. At no time is the output
> of the script automatically used by planet.d.o. It will always go
> through a human to merge the configuration written by the script to
> the planet config.

Ok, fine then.

> The human will have to manually merge the existing configuration with
> the new one output by the script. For the initial config we will
> review all the URLs and their corresponding RSS feeds to make sure
> that they relate to the derivative that they are for. I guess we can
> repeat this review every few months to ensure spammers haven't taken
> over domains etc. I'll also personally be subscribing to the RSS feed
> generated by Planet Debian and I hope to get enough interest in it to
> get more people subscribing. Does the above addresses your concerns?

Yep.

> Another thing is that it uses the derivative logos (seen at [1]) as
> the heads. I'm thinking they should be put into a subdirectory so that
> they don't get mixed up with the regular Debian heads. This isn't
> implemented yet, but probably I'll use imagemagick or similar to scale
> them down to a suitable size since some of them are quite large.
> 1. http://wiki.debian.org/Derivatives/Census

Yeah, make a deriv/ subdir or so for them, i can then put that into the
right place. And put the config into svn besides the english and spanish
config. Name it config.ini.deriv and ensure you have the name = field
right, and the link field ends in /deriv/. out_dir is www/deriv. When
you then come back to me i put it in action, and the Planetarium gets
the link automagically, with the name you put into the name field.

--
bye, Joerg
Lisa, if you don't like your job you don't strike. You just go in every