Re: census: apt sources.list snippets

On Mon, 6 Jun 2011 11:34:04 +1000
Karl Goetz <karl@kgoetz.id.au> wrote:

> On Wed, 1 Jun 2011 11:04:45 +0800
> Paul Wise <pabs@debian.org> wrote:
>
> > On Tue, May 31, 2011 at 8:31 AM, Karl Goetz <karl@kgoetz.id.au> wrote:
> >
> > > Do you mean packages.debian.org style?
> >
> > No, I mean http://ftp.debian.org style where you can see directory
> > listings.
>
> That seems rather bizarre.

Having a browseable dists/ directory provides easy and predictable
access to the Packages files which can be fundamental for various
repository tools and ad-hoc analysis / comparison with other archives.

Having a browseable pool/ directory provides direct access to the
entire directory for any particular source package, again making
comparisons between archives a simple matter of opendir across HTTP.

ftp.debian.org is possibly not the clearest example because it uses
http hooks to put text into the directory listing of certain
directories. The standard mirrors are more indicative of what I think
Paul was getting at:

http://ftp.uk.debian.org/

Only dists/ and pool/ need to be visible, just two symlinks from your
server public_html/ top level directory. (Or bind mounts if you want to
support standard Debian mirror push scripts.)

Emdebian folds those links into the website content itself:

http://www.emdebian.org/grip/index.html
links to:
http://www.emdebian.org/grip/dists/
http://www.emdebian.org/grip/pool/

Together with the link to the same on our mirror:
http://ftp.uk.debian.org/emdebian/grip

--

Neil Williams