Re: census: apt sources.list snippets

On Sun, 29 May 2011 12:44:19 +0800
Paul Wise <pabs@debian.org> wrote:

> Hi all,

> I've written some scripts to download the census wiki pages, extract
> the sources.list snippets from them and run aptitude update against
> them. I sent some mails out to ask people to fix things and got a few
> updates. I had to do some of the fixing myself, but as of today, I get
> no errors :D

Guilty as charged, thanks for letting us know :)

> Some things I noticed along the way:

> Most derivatives don't have suite aliases like Debian's oldstable ->
> lenny, stable -> squeeze, testing -> wheezy, sid -> unstable. I wonder
> how Debian can promote the addition of these amongst our derivatives,
> any thoughts? Having these would mean zero effort would be needed on
> Debian's side when a derivative makes a new release.

They're not hard to create, but if a derivative doesn't think in terms
of oldstable/stable/testing/unstable then only some of the symlinks
would exist. (For example in gNewSense I'll be providing
oldstable/stable symlinks, and maybe an unstable link. we won't be
doing testing any time soon though).

> Some of them missed out suites or architectures.

Hm, iirc thats us again. I should check that out.

> Some derivatives do not have browsable repositories, which are nice
> to have IMO.

Do you mean packages.debian.org style?

thanks,
kk