Re: DEX update

On Thu, Jun 2, 2011 at 6:07 AM, Matt Zimmerman <mdz@debian.org> wrote:
> = Ubuntu: big-merges =
>
> Based on discussion at the Ubuntu Developer Summit, the consensus was that
> this should be our next primary focus.
>
> The mission is to identify the top N packages in terms of the
> size/complexity/agony of the delta between Debian and Ubuntu, and do
> whatever is needed to bring the packages into sync.
>
> Because I'll be changing jobs and moving countries soon, I'm not in a good
> position to lead this project, but I would really like to see it happen.
>
> This project needs a champion!  It could be you!  Will you volunteer?

Generating a list of the top N packages in terms of size is easy
enough to automate. Complexity/agony is a bit more subjective, so that
would probably need to be done by hand based on feedback from
developers who have helped with such merges in the past. I would be
more than glad to take care of setting us up with a nice list of
packages that should be worked on, documenting the work (procedure)
that needs doing for each package, and sending out some emails/blog
posts to get people involved.

Nathan Handler