Re: [RFC] DEX - merging patches from derivatives into Debian

On Wed, Mar 16, 2011 at 08:37:44PM +1030, Karl Goetz wrote:
> On Tue, 15 Mar 2011 14:06:21 +0000
> Matt Zimmerman <mdz@debian.org> wrote:
>
> > Inspired by conversations here, and with various people in person and
> > on IRC, Stefano Zacchiroli and I have set up a new Alioth project
> > called DEX:
> >
> > http://dex.alioth.debian.org/
>
> One thing thats not immediately obvious to me is what DEX stands for?

This is still somewhat open to debate. :-)  Zack and I felt it was important
to establish a name so we could refer to it: something short, and should
probably have at least one "D" in it for "Debian" or "derivatives".

What do folks think of:

"Derivatives EXchange"
"Debian EXchange"
"Debian dErivatives eXchange"

> > The first DEX team is the Ubuntu one:
> >
> > http://dex.alioth.debian.org/ubuntu
> >
> > and a few developers have signed up to it already.  We've set a modest
> > initial goal of clearing a queue of (years) old patches from Ubuntu,
> > merging them into Debian where appropriate.  We hope to build on that
> > with larger and more ambitious projects in the future, such as
> > reducing the ongoing delta between Debian and Ubuntu.
>
> I'll see if i can get together a team from gNewSense, but it may take a
> while.

That's great.  Let me know if I can help with infrastructure.

--
 - mdz