Re: [RFC] DEX - merging patches from derivatives into Debian

On Fri, 18 Mar 2011 10:05:18 +0000
Matt Zimmerman <mdz@debian.org> wrote:

> On Wed, Mar 16, 2011 at 08:37:44PM +1030, Karl Goetz wrote:
> > On Tue, 15 Mar 2011 14:06:21 +0000
> > Matt Zimmerman <mdz@debian.org> wrote:
> >
> > > Inspired by conversations here, and with various people in person
> > > and on IRC, Stefano Zacchiroli and I have set up a new Alioth
> > > project called DEX:
> > >
> > > http://dex.alioth.debian.org/
> >
> > One thing thats not immediately obvious to me is what DEX stands
> > for?
>
> This is still somewhat open to debate. :-)  Zack and I felt it was
> important to establish a name so we could refer to it: something
> short, and should probably have at least one "D" in it for "Debian"
> or "derivatives".

Agreed.

> What do folks think of:
>
> "Derivatives EXchange"
> "Debian EXchange"
> "Debian dErivatives eXchange"

I like the last, but I think of it as Debian DErivatives eXchange, here
DEX is the last two words, and its for Debian.

> > > The first DEX team is the Ubuntu one:
> > >
> > > http://dex.alioth.debian.org/ubuntu
> > >
> > > and a few developers have signed up to it already.  We've set a
> > > modest initial goal of clearing a queue of (years) old patches
> > > from Ubuntu, merging them into Debian where appropriate.  We hope
> > > to build on that with larger and more ambitious projects in the
> > > future, such as reducing the ongoing delta between Debian and
> > > Ubuntu.
> >
> > I'll see if i can get together a team from gNewSense, but it may
> > take a while.
>
> That's great.  Let me know if I can help with infrastructure.

I probably will!
(Trying to get patch-tracker working, with more or less success).
thanks,
kk

--
Karl Goetz, (Kamping_Kaiser / VK5FOSS)