Re: ML improvement proposition (Re: SMTP 550 on replies to bugs)

On Mon, 17 Sep 2007, Oleg Verych (Gmane) wrote:
> When i want simply to help, i get 550, when stupid spam wants to get
> to the list it gets there. Something is wrong, unless spam isn't
> stupid.

The only spam that gets through is the spam that is sent to unarchived
bugs, of course.

> I was talking about nice technical solution for e-mail sending/spam
> handling. In short:
> * Allow messages, that have "In-reply-to" and "References" with valid
>   message-id's (SHOULD in rfc2822) to pass to bts/ml freely.

This isn't even required; if you want to be sure that your message
gets through, use an X-Debbugs- header or subscribe to the whitelist.
Everything else significantly increases the barrier to sending mail to
the BTS and the mailing lists. While subscribers-only is a valid
response to spam, it's not one that I personally plan on implementing
for the BTS (and one I rather doubt other listmasters would agree with
for mailing lists either.)

Don Armstrong

The beauty of the DRUNKENNESS subprogram was that you could move your
intoxication level up and down at will, instead of being caught on a
relentless down escalator to bargain basement philosophy and the
parking garage.
 -- Rudy von Bitter _Software_ p124