Re: Switching from CVS to a more sane VCS

On Mon, Feb 20, 2006 at 12:00:53AM +1000, Anthony Towns wrote:
> On Sun, Feb 19, 2006 at 04:12:29AM -0800, Don Armstrong wrote:
> > This is now working; you can do the following:
> > bzr get http://bugs.debian.org/debbugs-source/mainline/
> > to pull a working copy of the bzr repository.
> >
> > To commit, you'll currently need to bzr pull into
> > /org/bugs.debian.org/source/mainline or use bzr push with sftp.
> > [Hopefully permissions won't be a problem.]
>
> A better idea to commit is to:
>
>    (a) get the source via rsync, which'll get you the right timestamps,
>        and probably be faster, viz:
>
>        rsync -vzaP spohr:/org/bugs.debian.org/source/debbugs-source/mainline/ ./
>
>    (b) push via bzr and rsync; first apt-get install bzrtools, then run
>
>        bzr push spohr:/org/bugs.debian.org/source/debbugs-source/mainline
>
> Sadly that screws up permissions a bit, but the way rsync works avoids
> most of them being a problem. :-/

I recommend against using rsync push to a shared archive; it has no
locking and might explode or trash the archive without warning. I always
use sftp push with shared archives, even though it's a bit slower.

You can safely get the archive with rsync, though; just don't push it
that way.

> I wish we could get "umask 002" by default on .debian.org boxes, the
> way it's always been on Debian boxes... :)

Amen!