Re: DAK Commands for Bikesheds

On 09/21/2015 06:36 PM, Joerg Jaspert wrote:
> On 14071 March 1977, Thomas Goirand wrote:
>
>>> Without an auto-update, you get one version of a package - and get to
>>> keep that. Even if it changes in the base suite.
>>> With an auto-update you get the newest version (from the suite it came
>>> from), always.
>> I did understand that, as you wrote it already. So I guess I didn't ask
>> for more explanation well enough. Let me try again then.
>
>> Why would I need to import a package? What's the use case?
>
> Wait, what, writing specs need use cases? :)

Not necessarily, but I am guessing you're writing code so that it is
useful, no? :)

>> What I don't understand is why would I create a new bikeshed with
>> base-suite X, and import a package from the same suite. Is the point
>> to actually *freeze* a package version? I don't believe so, as there's
>> an option to automatically update.
>
> There is an *option*.
> Well, maybe that option doesn't make too much sense in the end. It does
> (only) if you look at bikesheds as a seperate entity that can live
> entirely without its base suite.
>
> Or in a world where you have base-suite X, but let the bikeshed be built
> against suite Y (say, auto-updating packages from testing, but
> letting it build against stable).

Ah, this makes a lot of sense now! What I missed was the part were the
package gets rebuilt. Will we then get automatically a debian/changelog
entry saying something like "rebuilt for bs-FOO", just like one would do
manually in stable-backports?

Cheers,

Thomas Goirand (zigo)