Re: arch lists with 'all' and machine architectures

Philipp Kern <pkern@debian.org> writes:

> On Sun, Feb 21, 2010 at 11:52:25PM -0500, Craig Prescott wrote:
>> That is, 'alpha' is not in the arch list, even though 'all' is.
>>
>> My buildd's @sbuild_args includes '--arch-all'.  Shouldn't this
>> package have tried to build?
>>
>> It's also not clear to me why a .dsc file would contain an
>> Architecture list with 'all' as well as a list of machine
>> architectures.  Is it a reasonable thing to do?  I didn't expect it.

The Architecture list is made from all the Architecture entries in the
control file. As soon as you have an 'all' package in there it will
appear in the list (unless it already is any).

> You should look into the difference of arch:all and arch:any.  Also you
> cannot expect at this point that you can build arch:all on architectures
> that are not in the list (i.e. are not covered by either any or an
> entry with their architecture).
>
> Kind regards,
> Philipp Kern

It should still be tried. For the future it might be good to sort out
the all packages that can be build everywhere and those that require a
certain host. Till then the best you can do is try and fail.

MfG
        Goswin