..debian translator engine project idea, was: OT: U.S. Army veterans in Debian?

On Thu, 23 Mar 2006 11:09:04 +0100, Bas wrote in message
<[🔎] 20060323100904.GA18309@localhost.localdomain>:

> Hi Lupe!
>
> You wrote:
>
> > Any soldier is to blame for war crimes as have been committed in

..factually wrong, and potentially a war crime; any soldier is
responsible to _stop_ any and all war crimes, even if this takes war.
Failure to repress (stop and mend etc) war crime is in itself a war
crime.  The fact that civilians (with some exceptions such as law
enforcement, courts, etc) are entitled to their ignorance, does in no
way entitle them to commit war crimes, not even subversion of the
4 Geneva Conventions from that same ignorance.

..ignorance is an allowed defense in court martials or Article 90
(of Protocol Additional 1) hearings for (some) civilians only.

..my own mandate in informing you here, comes from §108 in the
Norwegian Military Penal Law, which incorporates the full 4 Geneva
Conventions of Aug. 12'th 1949 and their Protocols Additional of June
7'th 1977, and the confirmation of war declaration of Sept. 12'th 2001
under Art. 5 of the NATO Treaty (which bound all NATO members
fully to the full 4 Geneva Conventions and its Protocols Additional and
their Annexes), specificly article 144 in the 4'th Geneva Convention:
http://www.icrc.org/ihl.nsf/WebART/380-600166?OpenDocument
and http://www.icrc.org/ihl.nsf/COM/380-600166?OpenDocument

> > Irak by soldiers of various nations. The Geneva convention is more
> > binding than any order given by an officer.

..factually and legally correct, for the specifics, I refer you all to
http://www.icrc.org/ihl.nsf/CONVPRES?OpenView

> Please, please, do not start this discussion *here*.  It is totally
> offtopic for Debian lists.

..agreed, except we _could_ re-use the text of the Conventions
to build a translation engine for a few hundred languages.  ;o)

..I post this to avoid having anyone blame Debian curiosa for
subversion of the Geneva Conventions, so if removed, replace
my post with similar content to facilitate dissemination of the
Conventions under art 144,  I mean, having the M$ shills go
"LINUX SUPPORTING WAR CRIME!!!", is _not_ what we
want here.

  Scenarios always come in sets of three: