Re: DPL Debate prepared questions list [Debian Policy Sucks]

Rui Silva on Tuesday 21 Mar 2006 06:32 wrote:

> UBUNTU realy works, and is stable. I've instaled it on a few servers now,
> and i'm quite happy with it.

That doesn't solve the problem.
> but my question is. Why don't you just build your own kernel from source.
> download the vannilla souces and do it.
> it's not that hard on debian. it's easier on gentoo,
> but in debian it's almost equaly easy.... why don't you try .:)
> Since debian is build thru volunteer, why don't you contribute whith
> something...
>  build your kernel, build it with lot's of options and post the .deb on a
> website.
> help yourself an help debian at the same time

I want to do that. But I don't have the resources and infrastructure to do
that. And Debian doesn't provide resources to non-DDs afaik.

And on top of that Debian has a "way too lengthy and time consuming" process
for becoming a Debian Developer (Infact most DDs want the NM process to be
more rigorous)

I agree that it's a huge effort to have everything up-to-date in the kernel.
But given the roadmap Debian has, to support ports like GNU/Hurd, FreeBSD,
NetBSD, Debian will end up supporting everything where nothing would be
The only thing usable would be distributions derived from Debian.

And I doubt if Debian has developer growth at the same pace.

- --
Ritesh Raj Sarraf
RESEARCHUT -- http://www.researchut.com
"Necessity is the mother of invention."