Re: Unhappy customer

I would not say Red Hat's is any better.  I'm not thinking that
pretty helps, though it doesn't actively hurt.  I'm thinking that
the underlying mental model of dselect is not obvious.  At least
it isn't obvious to me, and I've screwed it up on more than one
case.  (I have to admit that I haven't installed Red Hat for more
than 5 years, and that they may have gotten better.)

This is not a complaint about Debian in particular, though Debian
is harder than Red Hat.  It's a complaint about all of the Linux
distributions I use.

My 11 year old and 7 year old sons use Linux, and my non-technical
wife uses it as well.  They don't have any trouble, but that's entirely
because I am able to maintain things.  I can't imagine a non-technical
person who could do it.  In fact, at my workplace we make a debugger
for Unix systems - AIX, Linux, Solaris, Irix, OSF1 mostly.  Many of the
engineers, not me, use Windows boxes on their desks with some kind
of VNC or X display to get into the Unix systems they work on.  They
do this because Windows is considered by them easier to deal with than
Linux.  The VP of engineering would love to get them off of Windows,
to avoid paying fees to Microsoft, but it's not working.  These
are engineers with decades of Unix experience, in kernel and compiler
construction mostly.  They think Linux is the best implementation
of Unix around, but they don't use it as a desktop OS because it's
too fiddly.

Now, you can say "Oh, they're just wrong" or you can say "Maybe
things are really too hard."

Sorry.  I didn't really mean to go on like this.  This is not really
the right forum for it, nobody here has the opportunity to do anything
about it anyway, and if I really cared about it I would do something
about it myself I suppose.  It still seems wrong to say its easy as
pie.

vasudeva wrote: