Why would I want an LFS system?

rfc :D

http://www.linuxfromscratch.org/lfs/intro.shtml

Hm... interesting... curious.

"One of the key benefits of LFS is that you are in control over your system
without having to rely on somebody else's Linux implementation like Debian"

"When you install a distribution like Debian or RedHat, you end up installing a
lot of programs you would never in your life use. They're just sitting there
taking up (precious) disk space. It's not hard to get an LFS system installed
under 100 MB."

How much is a minimal Debian distro (able to 'just run Apache webserver')?
By 'minimalistic' I mean ending up with a running Apache by using standard
Debian package management tools (dpkg, apt/?/)

"We installed a system that was just enough to run the Apache web server; total
disk space usage was aproximately 8 MB. With further stripping, that can be
brought down to 5 MB or less. Try that with a generic Debian or Redhat
distribution."

Is the Debian Project able to take that *tough* call? :)

"Another advantage of a custom built Linux system is added security. You will
compile the entire system from source, thus allowing you to audit everything, if
you wish to do so, and apply all the security patches you want or need to apply.
You don't have to wait for somebody else to provide a new binary package that
fixes a security hole. Besides, you have no guarantee that the new package
actually fixes the problem (adequately)."

I think the Debian Project should register 'www.debianfromscratch.org' and put
up one single line on the web page:

Want a ready house? 'apt-get --compile source <package>'

LOL

Regards,

Csan

PS: don't misunderstand: I find LFS a good project. They just shouldn't claim
invalid stuff (e.g. about Debian) ;).

János Holányi
Hungarian Association of Linux Users
Email: csani@lme.linux.hu