Re: Why would I want an LFS system?

On Mon, Jan 28, 2002 at 04:27:10PM +0100, Csan (Ja'nos Hola'nyi) wrote:
> "Another advantage of a custom built Linux system is added security. You will
> compile the entire system from source, thus allowing you to audit everything, if
> you wish to do so, and apply all the security patches you want or need to apply.
> You don't have to wait for somebody else to provide a new binary package that
> fixes a security hole. Besides, you have no guarantee that the new package
> actually fixes the problem (adequately)."

This is the most serious fallacy. The Debian security team is probably
more thorough than most of the LFS users.

Most of the LFS users I've encountered seem to fit this mold:
<Overfiend> "*PANT* *PANT*  YEAH BABY!!!!   FRESH COMMITS TO CVS!!!!"  *PANT* *PANT*

 : :' :  http://www.debian.org/ | Dept. of Computing,
 `. `'                          | Imperial College,
   `-             -><-          | London, UK