Re: Why would I want an LFS system?

[I'm not subscribed to this list, so please CC any replies to me. If not
I'll pick up the replies from the online mail.archives when they are
regenerated]

On Mon, 28 Jan 2002, Csan (Ja'nos Hola'nyi) wrote:
> I think the Debian Project should register 'www.debianfromscratch.org' and
> put up one single line on the web page:
>
> Want a ready house? 'apt-get --compile source <package>'

You may be missing the point of LFS here.

I didn't start LFS at all to compete with distributions out there. They are
doing a wondeful job and I have nothing bad to say what distributions like
Debian, Redhat, Slackware, and others have to offer (honestly, before I
started LFS I was a fervent Debian user because it was closest to having
full control. LFS really isn't to spit on distro's).

LFS is a teaching aid. Even if you would have the debianfromscratch project
with it's apt-get --copmile source packge, you still don't learn nothing.
The idea of LFS is to teach people more of what goes on behind the scenes
and allows you to make changes to the very core of your Linux system.

Even with the amount of control a package manager offers, you still use
the distro's implementation of things like bootscripts, filesystem
hierarchy, _how_ software is compiled (ie: which options are or aren't
compiled into a program or library).

And yes, I do believe that when you're installing an LFS system you do pick
up a few advantages like learning more about Linux than a distro
installation can teach you, a sense of 'this is my system, not borrowing
somebody elses points of view'.

> PS: don't misunderstand: I find LFS a good project. They just shouldn't
> claim invalid stuff (e.g. about Debian) ;).

By far the most interesting thing from this thread is that little footnote
of yours. If you think I wrote something down that's invalid regarding
Debian, why did you never said anything? I would've cleaned up that
confusion immediately. Like I said, I'm not bashing distro's, just offering
a teaching aid which can replace a distribution alltogether if you're
willing to invest the time in maintaining it (which I agree is quite
substantial and isn't worthwhile for everybody).

--
Gerard Beekmans
www.linuxfromscratch.org