Re: spam and debian-curiosa

On 01/22/2002 11:44:21 AM Adam Olsen wrote:

>> On Tue, Jan 22, 2002 at 06:33:55PM +0100, Oyvind A. Holm wrote:
>> > Is there any good reasons why the Debian lists has to accept messages
>> > from non-members?
>>
>> It gets posts from non-members, that's why.
>>
>> Debian[0] won't accept any solution that involves censoring users.
>> That means you have to 0 false-hits.  That rules out all the automatic
>> tools people use.  The only way I can think of to do this is allow
>> subscribers and past posters through automatically, and flag the rest
>> to be manually moderated.  But this requires a group of volunteers to
>> the moderation, and nothing will happen until there is such a group.

The obvious solution is continue to flood debian-curiosa with spam, etc,
but create a debian-curiosa-subscribers-only.

The mailling list s/w will only forward email to -subscribers-only if the
from address matches a subscribers address.

Then, people whom want to read "uncensored" (mostly spam) are free to read
debian-curiosa, and the rest of the readers can read the
debian-curiosa-subscribers-only list.

I don't think this is part of standard functionality for most mailling list
software...

Another solution is allow only subscribers thru to debian-curiosa, and also
repost absolutely everything to
debian-curiosa-spam-spam-spam-morespam-please.

Another solution is create a debian-curiosa-subscribers-only, moderate it
to only repost only debian-curiosa subscriber posts, then subscribe
debian-curiosa-subscribers to the main debian-curiosa list.

This would change it from a censorship issue to a choice issue.