Re: A good charge against free operating systems

Jens> Great. But what happens if something is messed up with the system?
Jens> Is is desireable that those "end users" need to call a friend or a
Jens> service guy to fix a problem? I still think if you own a computer
Jens> you should be able to handle it's basic problems and diseases.

Does everyone need to know how to fix a washing machine or a TV?  If my
TV breaks down, I'll try to fix it myself, but there comes a point when
I need to take it into a shop.

Sure, users should be able to fix some basic problems, but sometimes,
they'll still have to call someone to help them.

The ultimate goal of a desktop operating system should be that problems
don't occur frequently if at all, so the end user doesn't need to deal
with these issues much.

Hubert