Re: survival skills for teenage geeks

On Sat, Jan 25, 2003 at 02:00:03AM -0800, Alexander Hvostov wrote:
> On Fri, 2003-01-24 at 05:24, Hamish Moffatt wrote:
> > 5 minutes ago you didn't even know it existed; now it's an appalling
> > idea just because it's djb's? How childish.
>
> I think you misunderstand me. '5 minutes ago' I didn't know Evolution
> had a 'reply to list' command. As for why I don't like M-F-T, I think
> it's an appalling idea not because it's djb's, but because it's
> non-standard, poorly thought out, and a crude hack, as I said. I also
> said it's right up djb's alley to produce something like that.

You haven't posted any reasons why you think it's poorly thought out or
a crude hack. As to being standard, things don't go from ideas to
standards overnight; M-F-T is in between.

> Debatably useful to mailers that understand it (i.e., yours), and
> utterly useless to everything else. If you want to 'indicate exactly'
> what you 'want to be done with followups' to your message, use Reply-To.

No, that says how to reply, not how to follow-up. The difference has
been well known in Usenet news for 20 years I expect.

You could survey how many of Debian's MUAs support it. BTW, I am sure
that there are many more Mutt users than Evolution (probably orders of
magnitude more), making you the minority.

Hamish