Re: survival skills for teenage geeks

On Fri, 2003-01-24 at 07:41, Dave Sherohman wrote:
> On Fri, Jan 24, 2003 at 02:08:19AM -0800, Alexander Hvostov wrote:
> > How do you know that it's actually worshipping the devil?
>
> Because the bible says so.

Ooh...

> > How do you
> > know _you're_ not actually worshipping the devil?
>
> Because the bible says so.

Ow.

> > Actually, people who
> > practice black magic might not be worshipping anything at all. How can
> > they be worshipping the devil, then?
>
> Because the bible says so.

I surrender!!!

> (More seriously, ISTR there being verses which actually do say that
> contacting any source of supernatural power other than God is talking
> to Satan, although he might pretend to be someone/something else.

Well, that is entirely possible. To what end might Satan do such a
thing?

> > > (This statement brought to you by my inability to forget my old
> > > bible-thumping days back in high school...)
> >
> > You were bible-thumping in _high_school_???
>
> Yup.  Went to a holy-rolling, speaking in tongues, dancing in the
> aisles, raising your hands, pentacostal, charismatic church, carried
> my painted-up NIV translation with me to class every day, and read
> The Word during my frequent in-class downtime.

Well at least you enjoyed yourself, instead of being a complete zombie.

> Tried to start a
> (bad) christian rap group with a couple of my (also white) friends
> from church and painted up my jacket accordingly.

Christian _rap_??? How do subjects such as expensive cars, shooting
people, drugs, sex, and alcohol fit into Christian music?

> Went to abortion-
> rights rallies and sat on the sidelines eating Domino's pizza.

I thought Bible thumpers were generally _against_ abortion?

> Completely missed out on popular 80s music because I only listened to
> christian rock.

I completely missed out on popular 80s music because I wasn't old enough
to care. :P

> I _actually_played_ DragonRaid, the christian-themed
> role-playing game - er, I mean "Adventure Learning System"
> [snip]

Sounds boring.

Alex.

--