Re: gcc-3.2 transition breaks build of KDE packages

On Sun, 2003-01-19 at 18:52, Vikki Roemer wrote:
> On Sun, Jan 19, 2003 at 12:51:44PM -0800, Alexander Hvostov wrote:
> > >
> > > The church my family goes to has a youth group for teenagers.  My
> > > parents decided that I need to socialize with kids my own age, so they
> > > "suggested" (it was voluntary, but I figure resistance is futile) that
> > > I join.  So I did.  *shrug*
> >
> > Is resistance truly futile? Perhaps you should resist and find out.
>
> Yes, it is.  I don't know about youth group (once I volunteered to go,
> my parents were like, "Oh, good!  See, now if you don't like it, you
> can just drop it and stop going."  That's why it's better to just go
> with it sometimes, instead of resisting); but I tried that with gym
> class (I'm home-schooled now, so when my mom and I go to the local
> gym, that's my gym class), and I literally got kicked out the door one
> morning when I decided that I just didn't want to go to gym class-- I
> had been up late the night before (reading a really good sci-fi book
> or playing with/hacking my then-brand-new computer), so I decided that
> I was going to try my darndest to get left home to sleep; instead I
> got booted out the door.  Don't get me wrong, I probably did deserve
> it, and it just woke me up, but... getting kicked in the butt is a
> good deterrent, you know? :\
>
> So, in my family, resistance is totally, indubitably futile.

Evasive maneuvers, Mr. Worf!

Seriously, though, no one deserves to get their ass kicked, and
especially not by their own parents.

> > > *grin*  Yeah, well, my mom is trying to train me to be 'insane'
> > > (normal) like that.  Help! ;)  (HHOS)
> >
> > She's not succeeding, is she?
>
> *grin* Nah.  Not to the point of being able to rationalize having 7
> pairs of sandals, all various shades brown, anyway.  Though I am
> realizing that not all 'nice' dress clothes are uncomfortable (before
> September, I wore strictly t-shirts and jeans (and I thought my
> 'schemer two' shirt with the lambda on it was really cool :)), and
> that clothes shopping isn't *so* bad.  But I'd still rather be
> hacking. :)

<sigh-of-relief />

I'm presently wearing a white-on-black GNU t-shirt. I _hate_ clothes
shopping unless there's something geekish in stock.

> > > Hmm... about 50/50 here-- 50% verbal, 50% physical.  Still have a scar
> > > on my leg where a boy kicked me in 6th grade, in fact. :(
> >
> > Ouch. Must have been pretty hard to leave a scar.
>
> Yeah-- the boy kicked a ~1/2-1 in. chunk out of my left shin;
> incidently, my homeroom/science teacher was standing ~5 ft. away, and
> didn't say or do anything until I was bleeding all over the place and
> all but curled up in the corner trying to fight him off.  Then, when
> she saw how the fight was going to end up, she just walked over,
> grabbed the boy's arm and said "Now, Brandon, you know that wasn't
> very nice..." blah, blah, blah, walked him to his bus, and just
> totally ignored me (she didn't like me-- I argued with her that global
> warming didn't really exist, or if it did, we have nothing to do with
> it, and that the Mars rock didn't have Martian bacteria, that was just
> a way for NASA to get funding), leaving me to limp off to dance
> class.  >:(  Still makes me mad...

So, let me get this straight... you making some perfectly reasonable
arguments is an excuse for disregarding the fact that you're bleeding
and limping?

You should have sued her ass off for that.

> > > Definitely.  You can duck a punch or throw someone off balance if
> > > they're kicking you; there's not much you can say to a bully that'll
> > > faze them, especially if you're not good at thinking on your feet
> > > (like me).
> >
> > Try to lure bullies into close proximity with someone that's protective
> > of you, preferably someone with authority, like a teacher you're on good
> > terms with. Try to lead them all to the same individual every time. That
>
> Sometimes, in middle school, that was kinda tough... (See above.)

Hire a bodyguard. :P

> > way, that one person will be an eyewitness (earwitness?) to a lot of
> > what you're taking, and your attackers are likely to get a firm
> > ass-kicking once your protector gets fed up with it.
>
> Heh.  Or, if you play flute, you might luck out and the wrong person
> will pick the wrong day at the wrong time to mess with you-- whip out
> the flute case, *whap* *whap* *whap*, instant celebrity.  _No_ _one_
> messes with you after that. *grin*  Unfortunately, I didn't luck out
> like that until April of 8th grade, and school ended in May (I was
> pulled out of public school for high school, went to private school
> for 2 years, now I'm being homeschooled).  Ah, well-- sic est
> vita. *shrug*

How about carrying a baseball bat in your backpack?

> Hmm, I've got to get back to playing flute...

Have fun.

> On a totally random note-- has anyone ever tried dissecting the kernel
> and playing with it?  See, I can understand the C parts, for the most
> part-- I'm pulling apart the bits that are in assembly, trying to
> figure those out.  Does anyone know where I can get some good
> information about the internals of the kernel?  Preferrably for free,
> online, having no money for a $40 O'Reilly book. :(

Nah. I'm not a kernel hacker. The most complex kernel patch I've done
was to change some permissions on the process directories in /proc (so
users can't see each other's processes, but root can see them all).

Alex.

--
PGP Public Key: http://aoi.dyndns.org/~alex/pgp-public-key