Re: debian-trivia

On Sat, 11 Jan 2003 21:01:55 +1100
"Hamish Moffatt" <hamish@debian.org> wrote:

> On Sat, Jan 11, 2003 at 12:46:36AM +0100, Philippe Seidel wrote:
> > Well I'm using a PII 350 for almost four years now and it serves me
> > perfectly.

> Well, don't get offended because I said your computer was old.
> Debian has a lot of packages these days and as a result dpkg takes a
> lot of time to process the package list. It's really noticeable on
> slower CPUs. I have a K6-2 350 here and the dselect Select screen
> takes 6+ seconds to appear with a couple of apt-get sources for
> unstable.

I have two 486 machines at work (one is a time server and clock, the
other is a samba server for a couple of non important file types)

I don't use dselect; rather I simply apt-get install packagename and it
takes up to a minute or two to do its thing.  That sounds like a lot,
but all good sysadmins can task-switch....  its not like you sit and
wait for a command to complete.