Re: debian-trivia

On Sat, Jan 11, 2003 at 12:46:36AM +0100, Philippe Seidel wrote:
> On Mit, 2003-01-08 at 22:47, Hamish Moffatt wrote:
> > On Wed, Jan 08, 2003 at 09:07:40PM +0100, Adrian 'Dagurashibanipal' von Bidder wrote:
> > > It even takes too long (considering the task of 'simply' display a list)
> > > on a PII 350MHz with enough RAM. And I don't consider this an old
> > > machine.
> >
> > Well in all fairness it would be at least four years old.
>
> Well I'm using a PII 350 for almost four years now and it serves me
> perfectly. With more computing power, all I'd do would be to run
> multiple SETI@home instances, so I'm perfectly satisfied.
> I'm not used to see computers which are only 117 MHz away from mine
> being called in connection with "the oldest piece of hardware running
> debian"......
> Wierd times....

Well, don't get offended because I said your computer was old.
Debian has a lot of packages these days and as a result dpkg takes a lot of
time to process the package list. It's really noticeable on slower CPUs.
I have a K6-2 350 here and the dselect Select screen takes 6+ seconds to
appear with a couple of apt-get sources for unstable.

I've had the K6-2 350 system for four years now, and it wasn't bleeding
edge when I bought it. Intel is about to ship a > 3 GHz Pentium 4, if they
haven't already. That's nearly ten times increase in raw clock speed.

Optimising dpkg/dselect may help. Certainly dpkg/dselect has slowed down
as the number of packages has increased.

Hamish