Re: debian-trivia

On Sam, 2003-01-11 at 11:01, Hamish Moffatt wrote:
> I've had the K6-2 350 system for four years now, and it wasn't bleeding
> edge when I bought it. Intel is about to ship a > 3 GHz Pentium 4, if they
> haven't already. That's nearly ten times increase in raw clock speed.

Well, that's right, and I'm very impressed of seeing computing power
grow up. But look - besides things like video editing or recent games, I
can do everything I want on my computer. I think I've trained my
patience for eternity trying to install Win98 on an 486sx 33.
Well, for *that* machines I agree in classifying them as slow machines.

You're talking to someone who uses a Celeron 400 as Gateway, Firewall,
Samba and mailserver and thinks this is a pityful waste of computing
power. The thing is: I haven't got anything which is slower any more =)

> Optimising dpkg/dselect may help. Certainly dpkg/dselect has slowed down
> as the number of packages has increased.

Well, optimizing is always a good idea. On my machine, dselect takes
also 6+ seconds to show me the package selection but I can live quite
well with it. The only thing that was really annoying was that sawfish
was way too slow. I replaced it with MetaCity now and everything,
GNOME2, evolution, whatever is comfortably usable.

CU, Philippe
--
=(pagin@gmx.de)==============================<http://www.seeadler.net/>=
|   "Die kürzeste Verbindung zwischen zwei Menschen ist ein Lächeln"   |