Re: call for votes on default Linux init system for jessie

Russ Allbery <rra@debian.org> writes:

> Well, in defense of the discussion that Steve, Colin, and I have been
> having, I do think it's worthwhile for the TC to try to hammer out a
> compromise on that point as well and express it as either technical advice
> to the project or as technical policy.

I'm really pleased that the three of you have constructed a policy that
looks like a good compromise for this problem. I was worried that this
would also become mired in controversy, when in fact there is already
broad agreement and consensus.

> I also don't think that the approaches that we're discussing at the moment
> involve design work or are at all novel.

It's not sophisticated or novel, but you're definitely crafting new
policy for the project. Given that the group doing this are likely to
reach consensus, it sounds like the Technical Committee process will not
be necessary in this case. And I think we'll all be pleased if that
happens.

--
keith.packard@intel.com