Re: call for votes on default Linux init system for jessie

> I agree with Ian on this.  At this point, it should be clear to everyone
> that, given the stated preferences of each member of the TC, the default
> init system for jessie will be systemd.

Let's finish that vote then and move on.

> But I do not think this is the most important aspect of the problem
> that needs to be decided.  The question of how, or if, multiple init
> systems will coexist in the Debian archive for jessie is what needs to
> be decided in order to unblock maintainers and give them clarity for
> their own packages.

That is an entirely separate issue. I agree that it is important and
needs to be resolved, but the Technical Committee is the wrong place to
be designing this policy. We must (by 6.3.5) not engage in design of new
proposals and policies.

Yes, as individuals, we may choose to collaborate with others on the
development of a suitable policy, and that group may well decide that
they cannot reach a consensus and bring the issue back to the Technical
Committee for advice. Please stop trying to bypass the constitutional
process for policy design.

--
keith.packard@intel.com