Re: call for votes on default Linux init system for jessie

On Sat, Feb 8, 2014 at 5:55 PM, Joerg Jaspert wrote:
> On 13481 March 1977, Steve Langasek wrote:
>
>> I will note for the record here that a number of DDs have at this point
>> given the TC an ultimatum in private, stating that they will start a GR if
>> the TC does not call for votes within a specified time limit.  I suspect
>> that this ultimatum didn't have much effect on Bdale's decision to call for
>> a vote (since he was already predisposed to having the up/down vote in
>> question).  Likewise, such an ultimatum doesn't change my view about what
>> ballot should be voted and when.  And every DD has a constitutional right to
>> start a GR on this question, at any point.  But it's highly inappropriate to
>> attempt to pressure the TC into making a quick decision using the *threat*
>> of a GR.  TC decisions take time precisely because they deal with nuanced
>> issues that don't get handled any other way.  Rushing to a vote only delays
>> efforts to reach a consensus in the project, and is counter to the long-term
>> health of Debian.
>
> While threats are nothing useful, at this point in time anything that
> makes the basic question that the CTTE was asked, "Which init system?",
> be answered later, is bad. No, its worse than that.
>
> Basically it undermines any kind of authority or respect the CTTE (not
> single individual members, the whole thing) has/had in the
> project. Dragging this one only makes it worse.

I find it far more respectable for the TC to be slow and deliberate
when they act.  It is very difficult to solve the hard problems, and
that necessitates time.

Pressuring the TC to act is just plain wrong, and double so if done as
an attempt to placate the sideline observers (the LWNs, Phoronices,
etc.).

Best wishes,
Mike