Re: call for votes on default Linux init system for jessie

On Mon, 27 Jan 2014, Keith Packard wrote:
> Don - with your deeper experience in this process, can you help me
> understand how this particular issue needs to be handled differently
> From previous issues brought to the committee?

I personally think that a simple majority should be able to override all
CTTE decisions which require a simple majority.[1] [The exception being
decisions where the developers as a whole are using the powers of the
CTTE under §6.1.4 to overrule a developer.]

But in this specific case, the decision has wide-reaching effects on all
of Debian, and will require significant buy-in from a substantial
proportion of Debian developers. A CTTE decision which cannot also
survive a simple majority GR will not be tenable.

1: I can't remember a case of a CTTE decision ever being overriden,
though, so this is perhaps a largely theoretical concern.

Vimes hated and despised the privileges of rank, but they had this to
be said for them: At least they meant that you could hate and despise
them in comfort.
 -- Terry Pratchett _The Fifth Elephant_ p111