Re: call for votes on default Linux init system for jessie

Don Armstrong <don@debian.org> writes:

> I think we should break the bigger question into this question plus
> additional advice for transition after we resolve this issue, but for me
> to vote things above FD, we should allow for a simple majority GR to
> vacate this decision.

On one hand, we place great faith in the Debian community to make good
individual and collective decisions about all manner of things, and our
constitution emphasizes the primacy of the individual in almost all
aspects of the project. On the other hand, the ctte is charged by the
constitution to take responsibility to resolve conflicts of precisely
this nature.

Saying that the ctte should be more easily overruled than usual seems to
me as much an abdication of this constitutional responsibility as it
does a wish to empower the broader community with true democratic
powers.

I believe there may be issues of such broad scope and deep impact where
we must ask the whole community to educate themselves sufficiently to
help decide.  What I don't know is if this particular issue reaches that
level.

Don - with your deeper experience in this process, can you help me
understand how this particular issue needs to be handled differently