Re: mumble and celt, #682010, TC

Hi,

The problem is one of compatibility; the reason the mumble tarball
includes CELT 0.7.1 is that it's our one "common codec" supported on all
platforms. Long-term, Mumble is being migrated to Opus, but while the
code for that is ready in current git head of Mumble, it will be a long
time before everyone is on that version. We still have a large portion
of users on our previous major release, which is close to two years old now.

At the same time, upstream for CELT has stated that they are not
updating it. That's fine. Slightly more worrying is the statement that
there *may* be security problems, and that they are not interested in
fixing them since CELT 0.7.1 is ancient. Based on that statement, the
correct solution is probably to deprecate the stand-alone package of
celt; we don't want new packages to start using it.

For now, the easiest is probably to re-enable Mumble to build the
embedded CELT, something it currently does not do. That way it is just a
single package, and we can deal with problems as they come up. Mikkel
Krautz, another Mumble developer, has some proof-of-concept code to
sandbox CELT using seccomp. If the CELT in Mumble was stand-alone, we
could apply this sandboxing to the local copy we have there. It is
another of the "not ready yet" solutions, but if it is needed, it will
be much easier to retrofit this inside Mumble itself than it would be to
do it in a global package.

Regards,
Thorvald