Re: ndiswrapper

On 9/23/06, Bdale Garbee <bdale@gag.com> wrote:
All of the arguments I've read and/or can come up with for pushing ndiswrapper
into contrib seem to me to relate to whether ndiswrapper is "useful" without
some other, probably non-free, software installed on the system.  That seems
like a slippery slope... lots of software in main isn't particularly "useful"
to me.  Does it make more sense to stay away from such arguments entirely?

It seems to me that this is the issue on which all decisions
about contrib hinge.

Software winds up in Contrib when substantially all use
of the software requires some non-free component.

As I see it, the problem with ndiswrapper -- and with the
linux kernel -- is that it's useful at install time, but current
practice with contrib and non-free means that anything in
contrib or non-free is unavailable at install time for most
users.

Perhaps the thing to do here is wait for the firmware GR
to settle out and make our choice based on that decision?

After all, whatever principles let us deal with our non
dfsg-free software issues should also apply in the
context of contrib issues.

--
Raul