Re: ndiswrapper

* Raul Miller (moth.debian@gmail.com) [060923 22:59]:
> On 9/21/06, Steve Langasek <vorlon@debian.org> wrote:
> >In order to claim this as a reason for not excluding the package from main,
> >yes, absolutely.  That doesn't mean the converse is true, though, so we
> >still need to refine further to decide which side of the line ndiswrapper
> >belongs on -- so far we only have two tests which don't apply to
> >ndiswrapper. :)
>
> I understand that some people don't want ndiswrapper in Contrib,
> because it is free software and it might be used to develop other
> free software.  However, every piece of software in Contrib is free
> software, and can be used to develop other free software.

It is not what I would like to have. The issue is:

The maintainer has done a decision. Some people don't like that
decision. So, are we going to overrule the maintainer's decision?

Please note that ...
> Put differently, a way of looking at the problem is: "Are there any
> good abstract rules which describe what should be in Contrib that
> (a) exclude ndiswrapper from Contrib, and (b) do not exclude all
> software from Contrib?"
... the TC does not engage in design of new proposals and policies.
What you do is however doing such a design here.

Summarising, though I see reasons for moving ndiswrapper to contrib, I
don't think the reasons are, especially on basis of existing policies,
enough to overrule a maintainer's decision.

Cheers,
Andi
--
  http://home.arcor.de/andreas-barth/