Re: ndiswrapper

On Tue, Sep 19, 2006 at 08:15:46PM +0100, Ian Jackson wrote:
> Raul Miller writes ("Re: ndiswrapper"):
> > On 9/15/06, Anthony Towns <aj@azure.humbug.org.au> wrote:
> > > Other similar things that are in main include coldfire, dosbox, fceu,
> > > gngb, pcsx, wine -- the difference there is also that they don't require
> > > a non-free ROM to actually provide their emulation.
> > I'm going to think about this a few more days, but I find your
> > argument here to be awfully tempting.

> I don't know about all of those but there is plenty of Free software
> for dosbox and wine.  It's not generally in Debian for obvious reasons
> but plenty of reasonable uses for those programs involve the user
> running only Free software.

The wine-utils package contains free versions of several common Windows
utilities, built for use with wine.

The nsis package ships a Win32 binary which is a stub used for putting
together self-contained installers for Windows, which can subsequently be
tested under wine (the package even Suggests: wine for this).

One or both of these may be relevant if we're looking to the wine package in
main as precedent.