Re: Re: ndiswrapper

On Wed, 13 Sep 2006, Raul Miller wrote:
> >I disagree. You already had that discussion and the discussion went
> >nowhere because the situation is not as clear cut as those 2 mails
> >seem to indicate.
>
> Huh?
>
> We have had earlier discussions, but they centered around the
> social contract, not the policy I quoted above.

All aspects of the reason justifying main vs contrib have been discussed
and all definitions have been taken into account.

> At the moment, ndiswrapper has a release critical bug filed
> against it.

No, the tech-ctte has a release critical bug filed against it because
there has been disagreement about a bug, and since the discussion led
nowhere, it has been reassigned to the tech-ctte for ruling.

I believe the problem is not "technical" but "political" since the outcome
is highly influenced by the interpretation of a definition.

> Leaving the situation as it currently is -- with an outstanding
> release critical bug -- is not a good idea.

We can release with an RC bug against the tech-ctte, it's not a problem.

> >I believe the only viable way to go forward is to redefine contrib in
> >clearer terms and as it seems to be quite a political issue, I suggest
> >to go for a GR to settle the issue once for all.
>
> Feel free to go ahead with that.  If it looks like you are likely to
> change policy, we will certainly take that into account.  That
> said, this is not a course of action I am going to put much
> energy into.

I have no reason to go ahead with that since, until now, the
interpretation of the policy on that precise point has been left to the
package maintainer and to the FTPmasters.

If you want to overrule them and at the same time overrule my own point of
view, I will ask for a GR to overrule your pointless bickering.

But right now I have better things to do: starting by explaining it to you
that you'd better not lose our time by trying to change something that
doesn't need to be changed.

You should rather acknowledge that the ftpmasters have confirmed the decision
of the maintainer, and that ndiswrapper can stay in main.

Cheers,
--
Raphaël Hertzog