Re: debian-ctte mailing list and spam

Wichert Akkerman writes ("Re: debian-ctte mailing list and spam"):
> Do you want to store the original message on the server? That might grow
> to become a large database. It could be pruned daily of course.

Indeed.  The original message wouldn't have to be kept very long.

> Perhaps we should support s/mime as well?

I will write the code to support PGP.  I think S/MIME is a bad
protocol and don't think we should support it, so I won't write that
code.  If someone else wants to then of course my code structure won't
rule that out.

> Debian maintainer keyring is not a file but tries to grab keys from
> LDAP.

Lovely.  I'll have to look into LDAP as well then.

> Compared to spamassassin it should be quite low-weight, and we can
> always throw more hardware at the problem (Debian has plenty of offers).

Indeed.

> Perhaps it can be done as a daemon to which you submit a message with a
> little bit of context (name of the list should be enough). That way
> you only need to work a little tool to submit the post which prevents
> the startup costs.

Quite so.  I've done daemons like that before and they make life
easier.  Also, because they have lower concurrency they are less able
to eat the machine if they go wrong somehow or are overloaded and
they're less annoyingly `dynamic' if you're the sysadmin trying to
fiddle with them.