Re: Please organize the vote

Can someone please post a copy of the IRC logs?

On Sat, Sep 14, 2002 at 06:36:25PM +0200, Raphael Hertzog wrote:
> If you ask me to go on, ignoring whatever the committe could have to
> say, I'd just ask Christian to move Gnome2 into unstable and the matter
> would be done.

Huh?

AIUI, there are three options: go straight to unstable, use "foo2"
package names in unstable, or use a staging area. Jeff Waugh objects
to the first option for good reasons, you object to the second for good
reasons, and no one has any major problems with the last option whether
they might prefer something else or not.

So let's just do the last option, which doesn't cause any major heartache
for anyone, and stop debating it.

If we can get a consensus -- ie, find a solution that everyone can
agree upon without major issues, even if they might, personally, prefer
something else -- then that's *ideal*. And it seems like it's what's
happened, afaict?

> > So how about we just get on with the job of implementing method (3)? Is
> > there anyone who thinks that would be a bad solution, even if it mightn't
> > be the best one?
> Nope, but I believe it is unnecessary overload of work so I don't want
> to manage it myself. I asked someone else to do it explaining that
> it could be a good compromise ... nobody stepped up.

So then let's stop debating it and get it setup.

> So in a certain sense, it's logical to let Christian upload Gnome2 in
> unstable.

Well, no, it's not, since Jeff Waugh still thinks that's a stupid idea,
and we've worked out a better one.

On Sat, Sep 14, 2002 at 04:10:16PM +0200, Christian Marillat wrote:
> We already have those packages since 6 months in staging area if
> experimental can be called "staging area"

Is experimental adequate as a staging area? If it is, then _nothing_
needs to be changed at all, and it's just a matter of focussing on fixing
the packages to everyone's satisfaction.

Cheers,
aj