Re: manage_etc_hosts: true

On 7/30/21 3:57 PM, Jeremy Stanley wrote:
> On 2021-07-30 11:00:02 +0200 (+0200), Thomas Goirand wrote:
> [...]
>> By default, OpenStack will, through cloud-init, populate /etc/hostname
>> with the server name you choose when doing:
>>
>> openstack server create <params> server-name.example.com
> [...]
>
> Somewhat related, you may have missed this ML thread:
>
> http://lists.openstack.org/pipermail/openstack-discuss/2020-November/019113.html
>
> Apparently using an FQDN as your server instance name in the Nova
> API is considered an antipattern, since the intent is to concatenate
> it with configured domains for the assigned network.

I read the thread at the time. Isn't this a very opinionated way to see
things? When reading the thread, I didn't feel there was a clear consensus.

Why would we then allow a single domain name? Let's say we were to
provide an OpenStack deployment for debian, and configured it with
"debian.net" as default domain, then what if I want a VM that would use
"debian.org" instead? This doesn't feel right at all...

Anyway, that's IMO not the issue. The issue is the (even short) hostname
not being resolvable with /etc/hosts not being edited by cloud-init.

Cheers,

Thomas Goirand (zigo)