Re: manage_etc_hosts: true

On Fri, Jul 23, 2021 at 10:51:57AM +0200, Bastian Blank wrote:
> > In commit 522055bf, I added
> > config_space/files/etc/cloud/cloud.cfg.d/01_debian_cloud.cfg/GENERICCLOUD
> > and
> > config_space/files/etc/cloud/cloud.cfg.d/01_debian_cloud.cfg/GENERIC, in
>
> Why did you decide that you can do that controversial (we talked about
> it several time) change without anyone else looking at it?

I agree that it would have been nice to get more of a concensus on this
approach before moving forward with this solution.  This change does
fix issues that users have encountered, so it may be reasonable, but I'm
not sure.  I do know that the AWS AMIs don't set manage_etc_hosts: true
and have never encountered the issues that prompted this change for
OpenStack.  What's different?  Why does this change make sense in
OpenStack and not elsewhere?  A clear description of the issue and why
this change is the right fix would be helpful.  Zigo, can you provide
this?

In any case, discussion of the issue shouldn't block an update of the
tools submodule in the daily builds, so I'm going to merge the MR.  If
we decide that it's not the right approach, we can revert the changes to
the debian-cloud-images repo, where it's already been merged.

noah