Re: manage_etc_hosts: true

On 7/23/21 3:24 PM, Noah Meyerhans wrote:
> On Fri, Jul 23, 2021 at 10:51:57AM +0200, Bastian Blank wrote:
>>> In commit 522055bf, I added
>>> config_space/files/etc/cloud/cloud.cfg.d/01_debian_cloud.cfg/GENERICCLOUD
>>> and
>>> config_space/files/etc/cloud/cloud.cfg.d/01_debian_cloud.cfg/GENERIC, in
>>
>> Why did you decide that you can do that controversial (we talked about
>> it several time) change without anyone else looking at it?
>
> I agree that it would have been nice to get more of a concensus on this
> approach before moving forward with this solution.  This change does
> fix issues that users have encountered, so it may be reasonable, but I'm
> not sure.  I do know that the AWS AMIs don't set manage_etc_hosts: true
> and have never encountered the issues that prompted this change for
> OpenStack.  What's different?  Why does this change make sense in
> OpenStack and not elsewhere?  A clear description of the issue and why
> this change is the right fix would be helpful.  Zigo, can you provide
> this?
>
> In any case, discussion of the issue shouldn't block an update of the
> tools submodule in the daily builds, so I'm going to merge the MR.  If
> we decide that it's not the right approach, we can revert the changes to
> the debian-cloud-images repo, where it's already been merged.
>
> noah

By default, OpenStack will, through cloud-init, populate /etc/hostname
with the server name you choose when doing:

openstack server create <params> server-name.example.com

Though without "manage_etc_hosts: true", /etc/hosts will not have the
hostname, and therefore, it will not be possible to resolve the hostname
if it's not in DNS. When a user does "sudo su", a bad message saying the
hostname isn't resolvable will show.

This is quite a bad user experience, and this is a regression compared
to the old OpenStack images.

As for discussing this prior to the change, well everyone had plenty of
time to do it in the BTS. Nobody opposed, so I thought it was fine to do
it without more discussion.

Do you guys still think it should be reverted? I don't...

Aren't the other cloud providers affected by the same kind of behavior?

Cheers,

Thomas Goirand (zigo)