Re: Nightly Builds and Continous Delivery for Vagrant Boxes plans

On Sat, Jun 06, 2020 at 11:50:39AM +0200, Bastian Blank wrote:
> On Sat, Jun 06, 2020 at 11:00:36AM +0200, Emmanuel Kasper wrote:
> > Unfortunately the 250MB limit of artifacts prevent building a pipeline
> > with multiple stages like
> > create .box from raw -> test -> upload
> > as I hit the artifact limit size between each of these stages.
>
> Please take a deeper look into what the rest of the cloud team image
> workflow does.  Maybe you find inspiration into how not to break
> everything.

It would be more helpful to provide some info on how the workflow avoids the
salsa limits.  The only thing I know of is compressing the artifacts before
upload.  A brief description or a pointer to techniques in the source would be
enough to start.

> Now the important question, why do you want to clone everything?  Please
> work with the other people.

This isn't fair - our tools are not that easy to adopt.  If we want others to
adopt them, we need to work on improving the user experience for new folks that
just want to build images.

> > I will write the salsa admins if it's possible to increase the limit for the
> > two vagrant projects which would need it.
>
> As Salsa admin I already told him that this is unlikely to happen.

I agree with this decision.  I've run into problems on my gitlab due to ci
artifact & job log storage - now I run into pain points due to this.

But is there a long term plan?  250M won't be enough forever.

> > As a solution of last resort, I've seen gitlab.com has an artifact limit of
> > 1GB. I would prefer of course to build on Debian infrastructure.
>
> Well.  Dead cloud delegates, please tell Emmanuel about the rule set we
> developer over the last years.

I wish you had said what you were thinking instead of making me guess.  Here
goes anyway:

Emmanual, we decided that our workflow would build images on casulana and
upload them to pettersson or the providers for distribution.  I'm not sure why
Bastian thinks this is relevant, since you wouldn't us using our workflow.

Ross