Re: debian.org organisation on GCP [was: Re: Vagrant box CI/CD]

On Wed, Jun 27, 2018 at 09:06:22PM +0200, Bastian Blank wrote:
> On Wed, Jun 13, 2018 at 07:01:17PM -0400, Jimmy Kaplowitz wrote:
> > Is there still useful demand such that this is worth pushing forward? If
> > so, I'll still proceed as above. Otherwise I'll hold off on wasting
> > DSA's time until a use case arises, such that it wouldn't be a waste for
> > them.
>
> I think we'll just create our own organization if the time comes that we
> need one and there are no other constraints.
>
> We currently try to get Google to sponsor stuff for Salsa.  If we can do
> that without getting SPI involved, then we'll just do that on our own.
> It's not nice, but works.

There are other constraints: You can't create your own organization
without a G Suite account, which can't be free without SPI's 501(c)(3)
nonprofit status or some foreign equivalent.

Out of the nearly 5 months since your original email requesting help,
roughly 80% of the delay has been from non-SPI people. The substantive
work is done by the same human beings from DSA + Debian cloud team +
other interested Debian teams, who would still be involved whatever the
umbrella sponsor is.

There's no reason to avoid SPI here. And indeed, we should avoid a
situation where DSA has to wrangle many disconnected GCP projects to
keep track of what Debian is officially doing in Google's cloud. That's
exactly what the point of GCP organizations is.

If the people doing the work want me to proceed with the part that SPI
needs to do, I'll do that and it's faster than any possible other
alternative. After that, there will be roughly zero ongoing SPI
bottleneck since DSA will have the access they need to do what they want
to do.

Shall I take your reply as a request to follow up with DSA on getting
the debian.org domain registered with SPI's G Suite and a GCP
organization created? I've been waiting on such a reply for the last two
weeks after you said you dropped the project that motivated the work,
but it's still easy to do if desired.

- Jimmy Kaplowitz
jimmy@debian.org