Setting hostnames with hostnamectl on AWS AMIs, missing dbus?

Hi all,

Not sure if this is the right place to post issues with the AWS AMIs, please let me know if it should be elsewhere.

I ran into a problem with the official Debian AMIs missing 'dbus' - trying to set the hostname with 'hostnamectl', the command fails as below. A quick apt-get update and install of dbus lets hostnamectl behave as expected.

root@ip-10-200-10-94:~# hostnamectl
Failed to create bus connection: No such file or directory

I ran into this error as it blocked my Ansible setup (v2.2), as the standard hostname module sets names via hostnamectl. I've tested and confirmed this with a fresh install of ami-b14ba7a7 in us-east-1 (the Debian 8.7 image in us-east-1).

Is there a reason why dbus is not part of the AMIs? I must admit, I'm not very familiar with it myself.

Thanks,

Paul