Re: Setting hostnames with hostnamectl on AWS AMIs, missing dbus?

On 14/02/17 14:59, paul wrote:
> Is there a reason why dbus is not part of the AMIs? I must admit, I'm
> not very familiar with it myself.

I'm not expert at it either, but found similar issues with
debian-image-builder. When creating images using systemd (which is the
default since dropping support for anything older than Jessie), I now
ensure dbus is installed by default.

https://github.com/sitepoint/debian-image-builder/blob/master/tasks/01-dbus

But if using the plug-in that replaces systemd with sysvinit, it will
also remove the dbus dependency.

https://github.com/sitepoint/debian-image-builder/blob/master/plugins/no-systemd

There is a case for arguing that having dbus installed by default is not
a minimal setup and perhaps not in-line with user expectations, but IMO
broken functionality out of the box is also not in-line with user
expectations.

-Adam