Re: Setting hostnames with hostnamectl on AWS AMIs, missing dbus?

On 2017-02-14 14:59:37, paul wrote:
> Hi all,

Hi

> Not sure if this is the right place to post issues with the AWS AMIs, please
> let me know if it should be elsewhere.

It is :-)

> I ran into a problem with the official Debian AMIs missing 'dbus' - trying to
> set the hostname with 'hostnamectl', the command fails as below. A quick
> apt-get update and install of dbus lets hostnamectl behave as expected.
>
>     root@ip-10-200-10-94:~# hostnamectl
>     Failed to create bus connection: No such file or directory
>
> I ran into this error as it blocked my Ansible setup (v2.2), as the standard
> hostname module sets names via hostnamectl.

And I'd say this is the clue of the issue, Ansible is not checking what is
actually available but assuming that it has whole Systemd ecosystem to it's
disposal.
I just have to point out that I used Ansible for few times even in big
installations including writing some modules and extensions but my knowledge
can be out dated a bit.
Anyway from what I know Ansible can run on BSDs as well so this will fail there
entirely as hostnamectl is not available, thus I'd log this as a bug against
Ansible cause it assumes Systemd + surroundings without checking (and if it
checks then doing it badly).

> I've tested and confirmed this with
> a fresh install of ami-b14ba7a7 in us-east-1 (the Debian 8.7 image in
> us-east-1).

Thx for letting us know.

On 2017-02-14 17:04:47, Adam Bolte wrote:

snip

> There is a case for arguing that having dbus installed by default is not
> a minimal setup and perhaps not in-line with user expectations, but IMO
> broken functionality out of the box is also not in-line with user
> expectations.

IMO if it's broken functionality it's in Ansible (as I tryied to point out
above) in Debian we're trying to be consistent across spectrum of our images.
--

|_|_|0|                  "Panta rei"                     |

gpg --keyserver pgp.mit.edu --recv-keys 0x686930DD58C338B3
3DF1  A4DF  C732  4688  38BC  F121  6869  30DD  58C3  38B3