Re: Building OpenStack images with bootstrap-vz and cloud-init ?

On Wed, Feb 01, 2017 at 07:19:13PM +0100, Vincent Bernat wrote:
> ❦  1 février 2017 19:05 +0100, Olivier Berger <olivier.berger@telecom-sudparis.eu> :
>
>> I have already some basic knowledge of bootstrap-vz, which I've used
>> with VirtualBox and Vagrant providers, thanks. But I'm wondering whether
>> anyone documented the specifics of OpenStack.
>>
>> Maybe you're missing some specifics of deploying the VM on the OpenStack
>> IaaS, which requires some provisioning at first boot (like setting some
>> specific way to connect to that specific VM instance: IP address and
>> user password for instance... well I'm guessing here, actually, as I
>> haven't checked how OpenStack does that).
>>
>> AFAIU, that's the job that cloud-init does. And as there may be other
>> nifties involved, that's why I asked.
>
>cloud-init just has to be installed. There is nothing else special to
>do. The OpenStack provider is enabled by default. You can however
>restrict the list to "ConfigDrive, OpenStack" for a faster boot (either
>with debconf, cloud-init/datasources or by overwriting
>/etc/cloud/cloud.cfg.d/90_dpkg.cfg).
>
>Also, there are precompiled images available (but not built with
>bootstrap-vz):
> http://cdimage.debian.org/cdimage/openstack/

Yup. They're use Thomas' build-openstack-debian-image for now.

At the cloud sprint we had general agreement that we'd like to move
to using FAI for future Debian cloud images, though [1].

[1] https://lists.debian.org/debian-cloud/2016/11/msg00100.html

"Arguing that you don't care about the right to privacy because you have
 nothing to hide is no different than saying you don't care about free
 speech because you have nothing to say."
   -- Edward Snowden