Re: Summary of the Cloud Images BoF at DC16

fungi@yuggoth.org wrote:
>On 2016-07-27 00:02:19 +0100 (+0100), Steve McIntyre wrote:
>[...]
>>    + Does any cloud platform require contrib or non-free bits for
>>      cloud-init? Most not, but apparently at least Rackspace needs a
>>      specific agent which is not free and it's difficult to even get
>>      hold of a copy. There are ways to do things better here, they're
>>      just not using those methods.
>[...]
>
>This is debatable. I run hundreds of servers in Rackspace from
>custom images without their agent installed. It's "needed" if you
>want some cleaner integration with some of their features, but it's
>far, far, far from necessary. OpenStack-based environments should
>never require non-OpenStack agent or client software for them to be
>usable, and in my view (as an OpenStack contributor) Rackspace's
>seeming claim is unfortunate in the extreme.
>
>That aside, the current "nova-agent" source at
>https://github.com/rackerlabs/openstack-guest-agents-unix seems to
>be Apache-licensed as best I can tell (just not packaged in Debian).

Ok, thanks for the info - other people in the session didn't
know/share that...

  Armed with "Valor": "Centurion" represents quality of Discipline,
  Honor, Integrity and Loyalty. Now you don't have to be a Caesar to
  concord the digital world while feeling safe and proud.