Re: non-standard TCP tunings in EC2 images

On 07/20/2016 12:54 PM, Marcin Kulisz wrote:
> So in total we fixed something on users request and nobody complained about it,

Lucas + me: that's 2 complains.

On 07/20/2016 12:39 PM, Marcin Kulisz wrote:
> Example setting up swappiness to 0 is reasonable as there is no swap
> by default on cloud instances.

If there's no swap, why even bother with this setting then?

On 07/20/2016 12:39 PM, Marcin Kulisz wrote:
> I'd say other options are just set that way so no manual adjustments
> need to be done to have instance provisioned in the automated way and
> operational straight away for most of the 'cloud' purposes.

Reading the above with the swappiness value, I very much have the
concern that the other values were set without enough thinking, and I
would like to know the rationals behind them. Could you *please* explain
them at least in this list? (I'm not sure how to ask, since it's been
asked multiple times without any answer yet...)

Looking at it, and the AWS video, it looks like the parameters for vm.*
sysctl stuff have been blindly copied from what Netflix does, which IMO
is very much application specific. I really hope that's not what has
been done, and that there's more reasoning here.

> I don't know about correct form nor specific place for
> documenting such things, but I remember there was once an idea to have cloud
> team policy so maybe starting from 'cloud images' subsection is a good way to
> kick it off?

In cdimage at http://cdimage.debian.org/cdimage/openstack/, we have the
html text. Isn't there such a (similar) thing in AWS? Or in the image
description?

On 07/20/2016 12:03 PM, gustavo panizzo (gfa) wrote:
> I don't mind if there is a task/metapkg called "EC2-optimal",
> "OpenStack-Optimized", whatever. but the default image on each cloud
> provider should be as close as possible to debian installed from d-i.

We've discussed that during the cloud-BoF in Cape Town, and that's not
what I heard. For example, I asked about having "nano", which comes by
default if using d-i. It is my view it should be there. The same way, a
few utilities are helpful in the cloud context, for example GNU-screen.
To this date, I have gathered no consensus. The only one that I found is
that we could do a minimal and a "full" cloud image, which probably we
could do, but IMO, everyone has a different idea of what the "full"
image should look like.

Cheers,

Thomas Goirand (zigo)